January 2nd 2008
I’m gonna miss this. I must have been here like this a million times in the last 17 years but I couldn’t help but wonder when things will be normal again. I looked at the bookshelf that is full of trophies and medals rather than books. I rolled onto my back and stared up at the star covered ceiling. Brayden and I spent a day painting them up there. We were 13 and had been planning to camp out in his backyard all week but of course it was pouring outside. Brayden, being that creative out of the box thinker he’s always been, came up with the idea to bring the outdoors to us...and by night time his ceiling was painted blue with glow in the dark stars. I think we had more paint on us then the ceiling. I grinned at the memory.
"What are you smiling about?" I rolled onto my side and looked at my best friend. He’s wearing his lucky shirt; the one he thinks is responsible for the many, many wins his team had last season. Because of how ridiculously superstitious he is, he wears it all the friggen time hoping that it’s so called good luck will rub off on him and become permanent. As if some henley could.."Brooke? You okay?"
"I don't want to go." I said, snapping out of my daydreaming. I really didn't want to go. What was I gonna do in Kelowna? My life is here! My friends, my school...Saskatoon is my home; it’s all I have ever known.
"You know mom said you could move in here until your mom comes back." I sighed, wishing I could stay.
"Bray, I tried but my dad isn’t having it. I did tell your mom to keep the offer on the table, though. Who knows...maybe I’ll get out there and hop on the next plane back." He laughed and that's when I realized that I won’t hear that laugh every day. It’s crazy the things that you take for granted. Hearing your best friend laugh, going down the street for breakfast when your mom got called into the ER in the middle of the night, knowing what every day was going to hold. All of my familiarities...are gone once I get on that plane tomorrow.
Why did my mother have to go to Africa for 6 months?! Couldn't she wait until I finished my senior year at least?! I would be out of the house then and her career choices wouldn't be royally fucking up my life. "So, have you talked to him?" By him he means my jackass ex-boyfriend...his older brother, Luke.
"No...and I don't plan on it." I refuse to open up the lines of communication again. Talking is not something Luke and I do.
"What are you gonna do when you get out there? It’s not like you can be in Kelowna and have him not find out."
"Maybe not...but I'm sure as hell gonna try."
"Brooklyn...your father is his coach! You won’t be able to avoid him for long." Thanks for reminding me. Jerk. I put my hands over my face.
"I know! I know, okay? I'm well aware of that, thank you. GOD! Why couldn't he play for a team in...in...Russia or some place?" He laughed again...good...I’m glad someone thought this was funny.
"Brooke, don't stress. The minute he sees you he's gonna regret letting you go." He said as he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me to his chest. I snuggled closer to him, breathing him in. I didn't feel like arguing with him, but I really doubted that.
"I'm gonna miss you, Bray."
"I'm gonna miss you too babe." He kissed the top of my head. "So much." I don't know how long I laid there before I fell asleep, but it was a long time. I just kept thinking about Luke...what the hell am I getting myself into?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment